To read my Life Lines post, “Your Plans ~ God’s Purpose,” go here!
For more Friday Fave Five’s, click on the tulips!
This week I made chicken enchiladas ~ a favorite dish! There are so many enchilada recipes so I am not including mine today but I would like to share a tip with you. When I am assembling my chicken enchiladas I dip the flour tortilla in the chicken broth before adding the chicken mixture to it. Don’t leave it in to soak, just give the “flours” a quick dip. It adds flavor and makes the tortillas more tender.
I visited a nearby thrift store Monday and found 6 white cloth napkins to add to my favorite growing collection. Using cloth napkins saves money and makes even a sandwich for lunch seem a bit special. I got four like the one on the left for $1. The 2 embroidered ones were .50 cents each.
At the same thrift store, I found a Southern Living serving dish. Dishes are one of my favorite things to purchase!
This dish is just the right size for a side dish for our family of 5. It was $3.49.
Guitar Girl, our favorite daughter, had a paying gig at a local place. She played for 3 hours and made a nice little sum. They’ve asked her back and this is a great way to help out with college expenses. She’ll have her B.A. in journalism in 2 years. When she graduated from high school last May she already had a year’s worth of college classes completed, thanks to dual enrollment. Yeah….we’re proud!
I teach (part time) high school Spanish and Literature at a private school. Yesterday was my last day and last night was the honor roll and graduation ceremony. I had the privilege of reading scripture and praying at the beginning of the graduation ceremony. This is a card from one of my students. My favorite line is…“Thank you…for helping me find a better understanding of God…” (No, spelling doesn’t count here, sweet student.)
Have a beautiful Friday. You’re favored of God!
Five of my favorite things from this week! To join in, click on the Friday Fave 5 button. Come on! It’s fun!
I feature here a perk of teaching. It’s a perfectly delicious pumpkin roll. A family from the school where I teach gave me this homemade happiness. This morning I sliced it and put it in my toaster oven. Oh. My. Gravy. Was it good! A sweet start to my morning…thanks sweet family for thinking of me at Christmas!
Along with the slice of pumpkin roll, I enjoyed another cup of my new favorite coffee – Gloria Jean’s Ginger Snap! Oh Snap
…I hope it’s not offered only during the Christmas season. See the cute ornaments on the label?
We use a Keurig coffee maker. If you need a new coffee maker, you really should consider a Keurig! Oh Keurig Coffee People…I need to be your spokesperson. Seriously. If you’re reading this…holl~ah!
These are just sooooo cute! I picked these up from Gap Kids
for my nieces. They’re striped on one side, polka-dot on the other and have fringed ends. I added these to a couple of mini bags from Vera Bradley and voila! Cute City for Christmas!
(No peeking, H, W & K! Get off my blog!)
Earlier this week while driving TechSon home from school, we stopped at Frida’s Cafe & Bakery
. I picked out a few goodies. These were all European baked goods which, turns out, TechSon and Skate~Boy don’t much care for. There was nary a chocolate chip nor sugar cookie in the bunch! So they were MINE, all MINE
…(insert creepy laugh here). One Fine Man & Guitar Girl had a few nibbles, too. When they could find where I hid the box…
Check out the cookies on the top right. They are called Mediterranean Maccaroons
. ‘Never had them before but I will no longer be a stranger to the call of their crunchy, chewy, coconuttiness. Enough said.
game that Skate~Boy and I have been trying to finish lo these past 4 days! We take lots of breaks. ‘Still fun though. Look how bad
we are with our 3 and 4 letter words! As there are only 3 tiles left in the bag, we can probably knock this out in an hour. Or two. Or three.
1. Cheese grits – On Fridays I don’t teach classes, so this morning I got to fix my favorite breakfast comfort food – cheese grits (don’t even think about making instant). And to all ya’ll nawthenuz, if you don’t like grits, you just haven’t had them fixed right!
2. A really good BOGO – Yesterday I went to Publix and bought one Hellman’s Light and got the other one free! Sadly, Publix is now an enabler in my addiction to stockpiling the Hellman’s. But what if I run out of Hellman’s for all that leftover turkey next week and we can’t make sandwiches? You tell ME, what would I do then? I get the sweats just thinking about the possibility…
3. Holiday themed kitchen towels – what can I say, I get a thrill from textiles. (I finally had to put my foot down (on a rug, no doubt) about my penchant for buying rugs – I’m serious.)
4. Christmas music! Now while I am dismayed at how Thanksgiving seems to have been totally overlooked in retail, I do love me some Elvis singing Blue Christmas.
5. Fridays off from teaching so I can clean house and catch up – Okay, truth, Fridays off from teaching so I can pretend I am going to clean house and catch up.